Unfortunately the winter conditions they had early in the month had totally gone. Eleanor & Malcolm arrived on Thursday evening so were able to go out on the hills on Friday. So they  went up Elidir Fawr, Mynydd Perfedd, and Carnedd y Filiast from the cottage. More people arrived in the evening.

On Saturday it was quite windy so we decided to stay low. Most people went for a costal walk in Newborough Warren. Unfortunately it was high tide so we were not able to get out to the island. After this walk we went for another walk slightly inland. The reason for going to this location was that it was a good location to see the endangered red squirrels. We were in luck and got a great sighting of several red squirrels on a tree with a feeder.

We then went back to the cottage for a slap up Christmas meal, prepared by Mark assisted by Clive and Eleanor. The main course included Turkey, pigs in blankets, stuffing, cranberry sauce. potatoes, sprouts with apple & pancetta, parsnips, red cabbage, cauliflower cheese & carrots. There was also a vegetarian option. Dessert was Christmas pudding with custard, brandy sauce, and cream or Trifle.

On Sunday it was still windy and now a little wet. Mark Malcolm &Eleanor went to the Beacon climbing wall in Caernarfon.

Clive, Martina & Charles parked at Sychnant Pass and climbed Conway mountain. They walked the ridge in glorious sunshine, marvelling at the views over Conway Bay and out over Llandudno to the Great  Orme. 

Dan and Tim and set off for some shelter in Dinorwig quarry. They headed for a decaying Snakes and Ladders. They went through the tunnel of love and after a slog over the boulder field and scree they met the first ladder. They then eyed up a slate sport climb, it was too wet and slimy and in big boots we headed up the next ladder. After exploring some of the old mine workings they continued. Another ladder and some route finding found us at the first abseil. Dan went first and Tim second, it was very slippy. As they went to pull the rope it got stuck, with another pitch of abseiling this wasn’t the best outcome. After some jumping and pulling the rope broke free. Onwards for the final abseil. They then went through another tunnel destined for the last ladder, the most decayed. Half way up five or six rungs replaced by fraying rope the ladder fixed to the rock with some rope and ratchet straps. Having finished a pitch on the chimney and a walk back to the van, They headed to the Heights for a well deserved pint.